Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette Review

Everyone seems to be going a bit crazy over this new palette from Urban Decay, and seeing as I love both the original Naked Palette and the Naked 2 Palette, I felt like I needed this one, as well (even though I probably didn't)!



It comes in a rubbery type packaging, similar to NARS (though, I doubt it will end up looking as dirty as my NARS products, due to the beige coloring).  It's absolutely tiny, and can sit in the palm of my hand (it would have no problems fitting inside of a clutch bag), making it great for travel!

Despite it's microscopic size, it comes packed with 6 full-sized eyeshadows, that are almost all Matte (the first shade in the pallete is a subtle, shimmery satin).

Venus, Foxy, W.O.S., Naked 2
Venus, Foxy, W.O.S.
W.O.S., Naked 2, Faint, Crave
Naked 2, Faint, Crave

My biggest complaint about the palette is that it is extremely difficult to open, I opt to leave it slightly open because it takes a few minutes (and possibly some nails) to open the thing! Which to me is disappointing as I would prefer to shut the palette!

Here's how I would describe each shade:

  • Venus - a gorgeous satin shade with some subtle shimmer, the perfect highlighting shade
  • Foxy  - a repeat from the Naked 2 Palette, but this could be used for many purposes, I opt to use this yellow-toned off-white with W.O.S. all over the lid
  • W.O.S. - this is the pink-toned version of Foxy and mixes well with it for an all-over the lid color; it can also be found in the Urban Decay Built Your Own Palette
  • Naked 2 - a really lovely brown-taupe that could be used on its own entirely, or be used in the crease, or even as a base for a smokey eye, though I am curious why this wasn't included in the Naked 2 Palette? Hmm..
  • Faint - a medium-warm brown that is great for using in the crease, especially when mixed with Naked 2 for a day-time look
  • Crave - a brown-black (that leans more black), which I use as an eyeliner for a slightly more natural eyeliner look
Here's the bottom line: Do you need this palette if you already have the Naked and Naked 2 Palettes? No.  Are the colors in this palette dupable? Yes.  However, the quality of the shadows and the fact that most of them are matte (a massive change for Urban Decay) really threw both of those questions out of my head.  I think this could even be a great palette for someone starting out with eyeshadows, even though they are matte, they are so creamy and blendable that I don't think a beginner would have any major issues with it.

Looking back, if I only had to choose on of the Urban Decay Naked Palettes, I would probably choose this one, you can create an array of looks with this palette, I can see myself using every shade (which is more than I can say about either of the other palettes), and it's just more convenient, overall.

Also, you can't beat the price - $27 at Sephora, it's basically a steal!

I hope this helped! You can read my last post here.






2 comments:

  1. The more times I see this featured on blogs, the more i want it!

    Leanne @ Leanne-Marie | Beauty, fashion & lifestyle. x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should get it! I use at least one shade from it everyday, it's really worth it!! x

      Delete